10 Tips to Develop Time Management Skills
Time management is an important skill that you must develop. This must be developed because, time management not only helps you get stuff done on time, it also helps you get a healthy combination of work and life balance. Time management is not specific to just management professionals. It is an important part of everyone’s life. It is important cause this is one of the fundamental things you need to learn to help you live a fulfilling life with the opportunity to do everything that is fulfilling.
There are many a ways to develop and sustain time management skills. Here is a list of 10 time management development tips. This ensures that you stick to all that needs to be done while ensuring you are having fun. Needless to say these are only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to what all you can do to develop your time management skills.
How I developed my Time management skills:
- Keep To-Do lists: Lists are always helpful. When you have lists of all the things you need to get done on a particular day, or within a time frame, it helps you track the work and ensures that nothing is missed out. Scratching a completed task out of the list can be very motivating.
- Plan ahead: Apart from know all the things you need to get done; it is really important that everything is planned ahead. Last minute contingencies plans can be accommodated only if everything else is planned. Otherwise, every task will be viewed as a crisis, without the planning that existing tasks require.
- Prioritize: It may be true that a lot of tasks must be performed within a stipulated time; however, it is just as important to ensure that the tasks are prioritized based on their importance and urgency. This will ensure that focus is placed in the order or requirement.
- Set small targets: Break down tasks and put them down as small steps. Smaller tasks are easier to handle, help you focus on one task at a time, and give you the motivation of getting things out of the way quickly. Additionally, smaller tasks seem more achievable than large tiresome tasks.
- Stick to deadlines: Deadlines are important. It is immaterial if the deadlines are set by someone else or set by you. For every task set deadlines and ensure that you stick to them. This ensures that you are on your toes and helps you work towards a set goal that is in itself motivating.
- Stick to achievable goals: Sometimes you might want to do a whole bunch of things all at the same time. However, sometimes it is not possible to get everything done on the same day. So, it’s important to stick to practically doable things that help you feel satisfied at the end of each day.
- Stop procrastinating: Do not postpone work that you know needs to be done. When you feel that you are postponing tell yourself that you will do at least a part of the work that you need to get done. Once the start is made and the momentum sets it will be easier to finish the job.
- Plan breaks: This might not be something that you’d expect in time management tips; however, it is very important to recognize its importance. One cannot work continuously work for hours without taking breaks. Continuous work will end up burning you up thereby making it difficult to work over a period of time.
- Do what you find interesting: If you are supposed to get something done, you will do it with more focus if you find it interesting. If the situation is such that you have to do stuff that are not always interesting, then find something to do interesting while you are on a break, to entertain yourself.
- Reward yourself: Congratulate yourself when a job is well done. When you complete a task ensure that you reward yourself. This does two important things, it helps you relax and take your mind off the task, and additionally keeps you motivated to do the rest of the tasks effectively.
Follow these tips and let me know if it worked for you not, because it worked for me. If there is any other tip you would like to share for developing time-management skills, do share it with me.
Its quite impressive to look out at all those tips which are effectively meant for the proper time tracking and management. Practically in order to reach out to the segment there are certain approaches which makes it quite an effective approach to land up with the process. For a statistical catch hold, I preferred using the cloud based hours tracking software from Replicon ( http://www.replicon.com/olp/hours-tracking-software.aspx ) which is hassle free tool and is all featured with the user friendly and calendar based interface that makes it an intuitive tool to work with.