10 Tips to Develop Learning Skills
There is competition is every field, all aspects, amongst everyone. With the advancement in technology, it is crucial that you keep yourself updated and effective. Changing environments also require that you adapt yourself and continue to be on top of things. To do this, learning becomes a key necessity to also attract and retain new opportunities to grow and succeed. Here are some tips to develop learning skills:
1. Mind mapping: This is an organized method of recording information and enhances your creative thinking and problem solving skills. Mind mapping helps by retaining information in your mind in a way that the mind finds it easy to remember. It helps you consolidate and summarize the data, you can remember most of the information just by looking at one item or part of the mapped data too.
2. Find a suitable learning style: There are different learning styles and many people have their own different preferences of learning methods. It is also possible that you choose a particular learning style depending on the situation and available time. By using the most suitable learning style for yourself you are better able to benefit from it and make better decisions or apply the learning in the most effective manner.
3. Multi-pass method: This technique calls for exposing your mind to new information or data even if it’s for a few moments. By doing this, your mind chews on that data and tries to understand it. The next time that you read or look at the same data again, your mind would have already started processing it. This technique is most effective when you are genuinely curious to learn and know new things.
4. Sharpening learning skills through other activities: Learning to play a musical instrument helps you develop a keen ear and precise timing. Sketching or sculpturing enhances the eye and hand co-ordination, playing sports helps improve your co-ordination properly. These activities refresh your mind which is otherwise constantly thinking, remembering, analysing etc. Moreover, these activities make use of those parts of the brain which are otherwise dormant.
5. Develop inquisitiveness: Curiosity is one of the key factors that encourage learning. When you have the interest to explore new areas of knowledge, places, events or people, you will be able to grasp the learning fast and also find it enjoyable in the process. If for some reason you think a particular matter is boring, persuade yourself to change your perspective and think and approach it as interesting, they will open up your mind to learning.
6. Learn by teaching others: When you explain a concept or an idea or a process to somebody, you learn a great deal in the process. To be able to teach or talk means there is clarity of thought and good comprehension of the matter. Also, when the listener asks queries or doubts, you will be exploring the matter inside out, in depth and this will also enhance your own understanding.
7. Asking the right questions: Every time you ask a question, you are that much closer to a whole new world of information and knowledge. By absorbing whatever information you get without questioning it you miss out on learning why it is so. You learn only when you ask about things and become open to other perspectives.
8. Focus on your learning: Trying to accomplish more by distributing your attention to multiple tasks at a time will not help instead it slows you down and you absorb less as you are not focusing on one thing at a time. Anxiety increases when you try to multiple things at the same time and this will reduce your idea creation and absorption ability.
9. De-stress: Sitting at your desk and continuously learning may seem like an ideal option but it will only add to your stress. Instead, take short break in between tasks or chapters. Set milestones for your learning and once you reach there, give yourself some time to unwind and relax. Better if you can apply your mind to something that is different from your learning subject.
10. Improve your memory: The more you learn the more your mind will stretch to remember the data and accommodate all the information it receives. Memory improving techniques like Link method (coding data to images and then connecting the images to get the full picture), Story technique (the data is remembered in the form of a story, helps maintain logical order and sequences), Mnemonics (tolls that enhance your memory by connecting to everyday ideas and items which later help you remember what you want), etc are just some of the popular memory improving methods.